Nias Heritage Museum is a well-known and popular museum in Gunungsitoli on Nias Island. Visitors to the museum will get a comprehensive overview of the unique and diverse cultural heritage of Nias. The centrepiece of the Museum is an exhibition which showcases the highlights of a collection of 6000 unique artefacts. The Museum is recognized as one of the best in Indonesia and in 2014 the founder received an award for “best conservationist of cultural heritage” from the Indonesian ministry of culture.
The Museum is much more than just the exhibitions, there are many other things to see and do at the museum:
- Café: enjoy drinks, snacks and tasty meals at the Museum Café.
- Lodges: stay overnight in one of our traditional houses or at the guesthouse.
- Mini Zoo: visit our educational zoo to see native Nias animals.
- Meeting rooms: arrange a meeting or workshop in one of our event spaces.
- Library: learn about Nias from our extensive collection of books.
- Recreational gardens: learn about traditional herbal plants or go for a swim in the sea.
The Museum is the main tourism attraction in Gunungsitoli and you can easily spend a few hours here. The Museum is located on the ocean front 1.5 km north of the city center, before the port area.
The Nias Heritage Museum and recreational gardens are open to the public every day:
Monday - Saturday: 08:00 to 18.00
Sunday: 13:00 to 18:00.
Monday - Friday: Adult Rp 4.000, children Rp 2.000.
Saturday – Sunday: Adult Rp 5.000, children Rp 3.000.
Admission to Museum exhibition and beach area additional fee.
Foreign visitors Rp 20.000 (Exhibition & Beach are included).
Map of the Museum grounds: